1) Please introduce yourself.
My name is Dominique Smith! I’m 18, and currently live in Las Vegas until I take off to NYC! You can see my journey on my Instagram: @ABlackMoon or Snapchat: @DomMaries
2) How long have you been natural?
About three years now
3) What made you decide to go natural?
I shaved the side of my head, and loved the way my natural curls looked with the style! Ever since then I have been wearing my curls.
4) Did you do the big chop or did you transition?
Initially it was a transition, but more recently I have done the big chop and am 2 months into growing it back out.
5) What was the hardest part of going natural in the beginning?
Maintaining it above anything. I really had to educate myself on the proper way to care for my specific hair type, and once I finally learned what the was, it was a matter of getting up everyday to do twist outs or braid outs.
6) Did you care what others would think about your hair? Do you still care?
No, I loved it and others did too. It was great to hear such positive feedback, but I think that’s due to the confidence I wore with it! Now that I’m growing back my hair, I’m more self conscious of what it looks like and what others think, but I just remember that it’s temporary and it’ll grow back!
7) How did others react to your hair in the beginning? How do they react now?
People were really positive, some a little too touchy, but learned to not do so.
8) Have you faced any struggles from being natural in school or in the workplace?
It’s never caused me a problem, and it shouldn’t ever cause a problem!
9) What is your current hair regimen?
Shampoo once every 2-3 weeks, co wash every week, and moisturize with coconut oil
10) What products do you love?
Head and Shoulders shampoo, Mane ‘n Tail conditioner, and Spectrum coconut oil
11) What is your favorite hairstyle?
Twist Outs were my go to when I had hair. Now I just wake up, wet my hair, and go!
12) What is your hair motto?
Have fun with it, it’ll grow back!
13) What’s the best part about being natural? What is the hardest part?
Not having to deal with flat irons, hot combs, and other straightening products is the best for me. The worst would be it’s a lot more maintenance than you’d think!
14) What tips or advice would you give others that are starting their journey or thinking about starting?
Have fun, experiment, and learn about your hair type. So many products claim to work for your curls, but it’s important to know that everyone’s hair is different, what works for someone else may not work for you!
15) What would you tell your younger self about your natural hair?
It’s beautiful and you should embrace it, even before you shaved your head!
16) How has wearing your natural hair changed/influenced your style?
I’m more carefree for sure. I let my style reflect me and all I want to share with the world!