When I first started my natural hair journey, I did not love my hair, nor did I show my hair any love. For years I had been damaging my hair with heat and chemicals. I would literally straighten my hair everyday! After years of neglecting my hair I finally decided to start wearing my hair natural. I did so only through the encouragement of others. At first I hated my hair, however I slowly learned to love it.
Here are 5 tips that helped me learn to fall in love with my hair:
- Stop comparing your hair to others We all have our hair crushes, but we should not expect our hair to be exactly like theirs. Stop comparing your hair to the YouTubers, Instagrammers, bloggers, or strangers on the street. We all have different textures and volume.Your hair is beautiful because it is yours! Appreciate it as it is.
- Find a supportive community Find an online or in-person community of other women embracing their natural hair. Through this supportive community you can share tips about hair care, share the struggles of the hair journey, and share words of encouragement. YouTube has an awesome online natural-hair community. See some my favorite natural hair YouTubers here. Facebook also has a great online community. My friend Amber’s facebook pages, the Curly Sisterhood and the Curly Corner, are dedicated to empowering women to love, care, and have fun with their natural hair. Once you find a community, the journey becomes that much easier.
- Track your journeyThis may have been what helped me the most. By taking photos of my hair each month, I was able to physically see hair growth. Whenever I felt discouraged, I would look at my hair journey photos and see how far my hair has come (health-wise and length-wise). At first it may not seem like much, but after a couple of months you can start to see a major difference. I think seeing growth psychologically motivates us to not give up. Also, it is fun to look back years later to see the progress you have made. You can see photos of my hair journey here.
- Find a hair style you love
I hated my hair at first, so I was not confident enough to wear my hair out. Thankfully, I discovered a easy style that I thought looked decent…a bun! I’m not even kidding when I say that I rocked a bun for a year straight. It was my go-to style and since it was a protective style, I think it really encouraged hair growth. So my advice to you is to find an easy style that you feel comfortable wearing, until you gain the confidence to wear your hair completely out.
- Avoid looking in the mirrorI know this tip sounds crazy, but this helped me so so much! Once I finally decided to start wearing my hair out, I always wanted to check the mirror to make sure it looked okay. In my mind, it did not look very good, so I would constantly run to a mirror to fix my hair. My advice to you is to save yourself the trouble. Literally, leave your hair alone. I promise you it looks fine. I believe in the saying out of sight, out of mind. If you aren’t looking at your hair, you won’t be worrying about your hair. The best part about this method is that on days when you think your hair looks terrible, some friendly ladies will compliment your hair, even when you think it looks like total crap. It’s better to get reassurance from actual people, rather than discouragement from a mirror.
Do you have any tips on how to love your natural hair?